Foundation / Corporation
Action for Healthy Kids (AFHK)
Grants of $1,000, $2,000, and $3,000 to USA K-12 schools to create or expand student breakfast programs. Funding is intended to promote an increase in breakfast participation among students. Funded schools will also receive individualized support from the Funding Source (expertise and people power) to help implement a successful project that leads to sustainable change.
To be considered for $3,000, schools will:
- Offer breakfast at no charge for all students (either participation in Provision 2 or Community Eligibility Provision)
- Implement new alternative breakfast programming (e.g. breakfast in the classroom, grab and go to the classroom, etc.)
- Have a current breakfast participation of less than 50%
To be considered for $2,000, schools will:
- Implement new alternative breakfast programming (e.g. breakfast in the classroom, grab and go to the classroom)
Schools previously funded for breakfast efforts will be invited to apply for Sustainability/Expansion grants of $1,000.
Newly awarded schools will:
- Implement a new alternative breakfast model (examples: Breakfast in the Classroom, Grab and Go to the Classroom, Grab and Go to Other Locations, Second Chance Breakfast, or others)
- Schools funded for $3,000 will offer breakfast at no charge for all students (no charge breakfast reduces stigma related to eating breakfast).
- Provide information to students and parents on the importance of school breakfast
- Complete AFHK’s School Health Index at the beginning and end of the grant cycle
- Join the celebration during Every Kid Healthy Week by hosting a family-friendly health-promoting event during April 2019
Funding priorities include:
- Applications that demonstrate permission from administrators to allow students to eat breakfast in their classroom.
- Applications that demonstrate principal support for proposed changes.
- Districts applying for five (5) or more schools.
Funds can be used towards the purchase of equipment, evaluation costs (printing/copying), incentives (no more than 10% of total budget), and food for taste testing only.
Additionally, AFHK provides ongoing technical assistance to schools to ensure success and sustainability of the various school wellness initiatives. AFHK technical assistance includes:
- Content-specific webinars on school breakfast, universal breakfast and physical activity
- Expert assistance from National Staff and State Volunteers
- School Health Team trainings and resources
- Connections to local resources for additional support
- Training of key school grant team volunteers
- Assistance with evaluation measurements
- Assistance with communication efforts
- Promotion of school success stories
GrantWatch ID#: 179724
Nearly 250 schools will receive grant awards of $2,000 or $3,000.
- New schools will be awarded $2,000 or $3,000 based on the project.
- Schools previously funded for breakfast efforts will be invited to apply for Sustainability/Expansion grants of $1,000.
Programs are to take place during the 2018-2019 school year.
To be eligible for the Start Up grant funding, schools must participate in the National School Breakfast Program and have a free and reduced percentage of 40% or greater.
Grant funds cannot be used for staffing or administrative costs. Grant funds of “Incentives, gifts, and awards” cannot be given to a person working with the grant. School Grants for Healthy Kids is an opportunity for schools to implement a program they would like to see in their schools. AFHK is assisting schools with funds and resources to help them achieve their goals, meet standards and make their students and school environment healthier.
Attend a webinar to learn more about 2018-2019 School Breakfast grant opportunities and receive tips for applying. This webinar will be archived for those unable to attend the live session.
Apply for a 2018-2019 School Breakfast Grant
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
4:00 PM (ET), 3:00 PM (CT), 2:00 PM (MT), 1:00 PM (PT)
Use the link in Contact Information below to register.
Applications are due April 6, 2018.
Awarded schools will be notified by Monday, May 14, 2018.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register for the webinar here:
Take the eligibility quiz here:
Click here to access the online School Portal to submit the official application:
Contact your AFHK State Coordinator:
Or, email SchoolGrants@ActionforHealthyKids.org.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming